Friday, May 10, 2013

Just Shape Up.




"I have an excellent father,
his strength is making me stronger.
God smiles on my [older] brothers,
inside and out [they're] better than I am.
I grew up in a pretty house and I had space to run..."

I remember first discovering this song.
It was the first day of my three day family reunion, a few years go.
We always had a talent show,
and I was determined to learn this song on my guitar and perform it the next day.

The first time I listened to it and it got to this part, I bawled.
I just sat there and sang through tears.
I didn't know what was wrong with me.
I soon realized it was because I knew my Dad had the potential
to be that person that Taylor Swift was singing so elegantly about...

But he wasn't.
And he never truly has been.
But he could be,
if he really wanted to.

I miss him a lot, lately.
Even though he was never really here.

I don't have very many friends, anymore.
Things get worse every single day.
I know he'd be my best friend, if he could.

Please just shape up, Daddy.
Your little girl needs you.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Though I may not reply to all of your comments, I read each and every one of them.
Your words mean so much to me.

xx